5 Hot tips on how to keep your threads looking awesome....forever
March 11, 20203 min read
We’re all about buying less and have been for years now (let’s be real, it started when I was a poor arts student at university and well, the more I thought about consumption and saw how my friends shopped…. I never really jumped back on the shopping wagon) so I wanted to share with you a few tips on how to make your threads go a little further. Make them be here for a good time AND a long time! These are just a few tips and would love to hear from you if you have any further ideas as well!
1. USE COLD WATER IN YOUR WASH Not only is using cold water wash cycles better for the environment, its also better for your garments. This is particularly true for swimwear, which should be rinsed in cold water after each wear to get rid of grimy sand & corosize salt. By using cold water to wash your clothes helps to reduce color fading while also using less energy / power.
2. HANG DRY, NOT MACHINE DRY I know, this is where living in the tropics comes in pretty handy but who ever said a house full of beautifully hanging clothes wasn’t cool? Ok maybe it’s not especially when your pals pop by for a cup of tea but hey, letting your clothes hang dry Instead of throwing everything in the dryer not only saves electricity it also avoids fiber degradation, maintaining the integrity of your garments for longer. HELLS YES to that.
3. DRY CLEAN ONLY WHEN ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY It’s a luxury that comes at a cost (Both for the environment AND your wallet!) If a garment states that it is a “dry clean only” item it likely means that the fabric or construction will not withstand washing in a regular washing machine. In this case I highly recommend waiting to clean your item until it’s absolutely necessary. Until then you can spot clean areas that may have a mark and use a natural spritzer spray on your item to freshen up it’s odour. When it is finally time to dry clean, choose a certified environmentally-aware dry cleaner who avoids the use of harmful chemicals like perchloroethylene “perc.” You can also ask them to skip the plastic cover when you pick up, it’s a single use plastic that no-body needs. If you really do need a cover, how about purchasing your own garment bag that can be used for years to come?
4. TRY A NATURAL STEAM IN YOUR BATHROOM The amazing thing about Natural Fabrics is that they get better with time.. If you can I would suggest to avoid using the iron where possible (Crinkled linen is a thing!) and keep it looking natural & easy. I’m also a big fan of hanging your clothing in the bathroom while you shower, letting the natural steam from your hot shower bring out the light creases in the garment.
5. LEARN TO SEW OR USE A TAILOR Every body shape is different, not to mention that we are changing all the time as well (Hello Christmas Bod)! I love heading to my local tailor to get things modified as needed. A little taken in here, a strap added, A dress shortened, Jeans made into Shorts, new buttons added etc. This not only ads a new life to an old garment but gives you an entirely new wardrobe for next to nothing! Bring on the stitch & bitch with your pals! Who’s bringing the wine?
We're all about implementing little changes in our daily lives that can help the environment. We would love to hear any tips and tricks that you do on the daily! Feel free to email us here or DM us on instagram at @luna.androse, we would love to share these with our community!
There’s a lot of chat out there about jewellery and we wanted to debunk a few of the myths that you may have heard over the years. From the history of Pearls to the truth about Solid Gold. Here are 8 Jewellery Myths debunked - So you can sleep easy (and let your Aunty know the real deal over your next family dinner) sharing the real facts about tarnishing, Gold, pearls and much more.
If you're a travel-lover like us (dur - who isn't), then there's a high chance you are already following Brodie from @locationlost over on instagram where she shares her life on the road, living out of her **super stylin** van with her partner Nick & cute pooch Quinn. Based in Western Australia, Brodie & Nick share their incredible adventures, drool-worthy landscapes they get to experience in Aus and share honest conversations about a life lived on the road. It's not all cute shots (and cute outfits)!
Nothing quite beats a delicious Soba Noodle Salad. They're often rare to find out and about but when you find one, with the perfect dressing - Oooh wee it's a jolly good feeling, one you want to bottle up & come back to meal after meal. And so with the emphasis on food & sharing around Christmas, I wanted to do exactly that. Share one of my favourite Soba Noodle Salad recipes so that you too, can relish in these flavours & treat your tastebuds (and others!) this festive season.